Location Cartagena, Colombia
Start Date Apr – Jun 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 10 Months
Language Requirements English, Spanish
Please submit a Spanish Resume and Statement of Interest
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
El Parque Nacional Natural Corales de Profundidad (PNNCPR) is a protected area of exclusively marine nature, located in the Colombian Caribbean at an approximate distance of 32 km from the closest point on the continent (Peninsula de Barú). The PNNCPR is part of the coastal system Coral Archipelagos and the Caribbean Oceanic System, and extends off the coast of the departments of Bolivar, Sucre and Cordoba, with the coastal municipalities of these departments indirect zone of influence.
The PNNCPR is one of three locations that, to date, has been identified in the Colombian Caribbean with a significant abundance of deep corals and a high diversity of associated invertebrates. The management plan of this protected area establishes its vocation oriented to research, monitoring and control of invasive species.
The recent declaration (2013) has motivated the prioritization of the positioning of the protected area at the local, regional, national, and international level. This requires the design and implementation of strategies for environmental communication and education, with a focus on the generation of local and community ownership, considering the challenge posed to this by the completely marine location of the area. The strategy of environmental communications and education should contribute to the prevention of pressures that could negatively impact the biodiversity of the Park.
Our partner is looking for a volunteer that can contribute to the generation and implementation of processes and activities of environmental communications and education of the PNNCPR, within the framework of the national strategy of communications and education of the entity.
As a volunteer, you will:
– Design and implement a communication action plan for the protected area, based on the national strategy.
– Contribute to the generation and implementation of an environmental education action plan, based on the national strategy.
– Formulate an environmental education project of the park, based on a need identified in the environmental education strategy.
– Support the preparation and accompaniment of events, meetings and workshops within the framework of communication and environmental education of the PNNCDP.
– Report the periodic advances and present report to the supervisor of the volunteer placement, in the terms to be agreed between Cuso International and National Natural Parks of Colombia.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
– Professional training in social communication, with knowledge in the production of informative and audiovisual material.
Essential Professional Background:
– Communication: Ability to listen, ask questions, express concepts and ideas effectively, understand group dynamics and effective meeting design, and express themselves clearly and concisely, orally and in writing, in Spanish.
– Creative thinking: Ability to generate, discover and transform new ideas into useful and effective solutions applicable in the organization.
– Autonomy: Ability to propose and apply solutions to individual difficulties in a proactive and independent way.
– Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
– Accommodation while in placement
– Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
– Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
– Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
– Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
– Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
– Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
– Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
– Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
– Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months