BCIT’s Institutional Research & Planning Department is currently recruiting a regular full-time Institutional Research and Planning Senior Analyst. This position leads assigned research and projects for institutional research and planning. The role collaborates with stakeholders both internal to BCIT and external agencies and organization on variety of enrolment planning, institutional research, and information requests. The position supports Manager in developing, compiling and coordinating consultation documents, executive summaries or briefing notes for senior leader recommendation. Conducts other duties as assigned.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Planning and conducting qualitative and quantitative research for assigned projects and enrolment planning and forecasting reporting using descriptive and inferential statistics;
• Developing and manipulating complex databases required for enrolment planning and forecasting, enrolment management, and institutional research reporting;
• Preparing written reports, presenting findings and making recommendations to institutional research and planning management team;
• Designing, researching, validating and reviewing pilot projects related to institutional research and planning analytics, dashboards and key performance indicators;
• Managing assigned project deliverables, timelines and follow-up as they pertain to strategic initiatives across all levels of BCIT;
• Overseeing ongoing data validation to support institutional data integrity; ensuring quality assurance of reporting and analysis prior to sharing with stakeholders;
• Conducting annual reviews of the operational framework for enrolment management and tuition fee setting and ensuring accountability and compliance of survey insights, research, institutional key performance metrics, etc.
• Coordinating, tracking, analyzing, reviewing and reporting on Trades Training, Program Information Updates, provincial government and agencies such as Ministry of Advanced Education & Skills Training (AEST) and the Industry Training Authority (ITA) funding submissions and funding & grant analysis;
• Ensuring data disclosures align with current provisions of provincial and federal legislation and privacy regulations;
• Managing and prioritizing ad hoc report requests from internal and external stakeholders in support of the strategic planning, budgeting, assessment, and decision-making processes at the institutions as required.
• Implementing and keeping current the Institutional Accountability Plan and Report Accountability Plan, Central Data Warehouse submissions, BC Student Outcomes submissions, etc. and ensuring timely and accurate rollout; follows up on any deadlines or delays and provides closure;
• Developing, compiling and coordinating consultation documents, executive summaries and/ or briefing notes for senior leaders and internal stakeholders, as assigned;
• Developing and recommending on research proposals (including privacy impact assessments) and project charters in support of enrolment planning and forecasting, enrolment management, institutional research and reporting needs of stakeholders;
• Drafting and overseeing communication plans related to web-based communications, communication schedules, inter-departmental communications and key information dissemination;
• Assisting in departmental planning and scheduling, assigning and checking work and projects and monitoring service levels of the analysts and junior analyst on the team;
• Supporting in training of new team members, monitoring progress and developing associated training materials as required.
• Working cooperatively with stakeholders and clients to determine their data needs and ensuring consistent and reliable data is available for analysis and reporting;
• Providing advice and support for developing and enhancing processes for strategic enrolment planning, enrolment forecasting, enrolment management, institutional research and reporting;
• Participating as an active and contributing member on relevant institute committees and work closely with committee members for assessing and implementing IRP related procedures to ensure maximum efficiencies;
• Providing consultation, support and guidance to academic and administrative units in preparing and/or interpreting information, academic planning, and key performance metrics;
• Engaging in problem solving on both technical and non-technical initiatives as related to institutional research and planning at various levels of the Institute;
• Liaising with BCIT departments and participating on institutional committees as assigned.
• Contributing and liaising with government committees and working groups on a variety of institutional research and planning related topics
• Responding to a variety of annual and ad hoc external data and information requests from government (provincial and federal), agencies, advocacy groups.
• Participating in discussion and committees with professional organizations and remains current in strategic enrolment management, research methods and business intelligence as well as political, economic, social and educational trends.
• Undertakes other related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade of this position.
• Bachelor’s degree plus specialized training courses in an appropriate analytical discipline (such as economics, sociology, management science, engineering, computing or accounting) with specialized courses in statistics and/or research methodology.
• Two years of general experience plus six years of applied experience in collecting, synthesizing, evaluating and analyzing information for research and planning projects. Experience in a supervisory or coordinating role with usage of visualization tools to build dashboards and user- friendly reports is required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of reporting languages and structured query language (SQL)
• Advanced knowledge of business intelligence and analytical tools (such as Cognos 10, Tableau, Power BI or Qlikview).
• Advanced knowledge of spreadsheets, such as Microsoft Excel, and databases, such as Microsoft Access, included but not limited to experience making mathematical and statistical calculations, pivot tables, graphs, etc.
• Advanced knowledge of statistical software, such as SPSS.
• Advanced knowledge of MS Office, statistical software (such as SPSS, R, etc.), and data science (such as Python, etc.) and business analytics applications.
• Strong supervisory skills with proven experience in managing, training, coaching, and delegating work
• Ability to communicate effectively to a culturally and technically diverse audience, both verbally and in writing
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills including experience preparing, synthesizing, and writing reports for a wide audience
• Proven ability to produce high quality reports and present statistical and analytical concepts to a non-technical audience.
• Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
• Results-oriented with proven analytical, organizational, and project management skills
• Ability to work on multiple complex projects simultaneously and handle changing priorities and deadlines.
• Proven innovation in research methodologies; creative and flexible with computer applications
• Must be customer service oriented with an emphasis on quality and collaborative relationships
• Acute attention to detail and ability to maintain accuracy with sound numeric skills including an understanding of inferential statistics and their application to institutional research and planning.
• Must have an understanding of public post-secondary education and its market environment and structure
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
• Being a part of BC’s Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
• A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a superb pension plan.
• Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
• Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
• Enjoy discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
• Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
Salary Range Salary: Grade 10- $61,268 – $66,481
Additional Salary Information: External hires are initially placed at the minimum of the salary range with progression to the maximum. Salary prorated based on percentage and term of appointment.